funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:37:23 -0400

On 10/22/06, Gordon Darling <gordondarling () dsl pipex com> wrote:
<snip>

Beer fingerprints to go UK-wide
Yeovil, an example for us all
By Mark Ballard
Published Friday 20th October 2006 17:45 GMT

The government is is funding the roll out of fingerprint security at the
doors of pubs and clubs in major English cities.\

Before this gets discussed, I think a review of the available options
are in order

from: http://onin.com/fp/wwwbd/messages/4/1494.html

To answer your questions, fingerprint patterns can not be
reconstructed by examining palm prints. Patterns do not change with
age, stress, etc. I have noticed a trend in your posts toward
"altering" fingerprints. I have researched and examined the
fingerprints in about 30 cases of permanent intentional fingerprint
mutilation. These cases include everything from Roscoe Pitts
(mentioned in a previous post) who had a surgeon sew his raw finger
tips to flaps of skin on his side, to John Dillinger who had his
doctor carve out portions of his fingerprint patterns and pour
sulfuric acid in the depressions, to other lesser known criminals.
Donald Roquierre cut circles in the middle of each finger, removed the
resulting skin (deep down to include the basal layer of skin where
fingerprints form), turned the circles upside down and replaced them
on different fingers. He sewed them on with a needle and thread.
Others have tried tattoo needles, cigarette lighters, cigarettes
(burning over and over), and the list goes on and on. Recently, a
plastic surgeon has cut a "Z" shaped incision and switched triangles
within each of the 10 fingers of several Mexican nationals living
illegally in the United States.

But in NONE of these cases... I repeat NONE of these cases, has the
person performing the mutilation remained undiscovered by law
enforcement. To quote Roscoe Pitts: "If I knew then what I knew now, I
never would have gone through with it... I did not know something like
this would challenge police and that they would move heaven and earth
to identify a man with no fingerprints." Dillinger's fingerprint
mutilation was discovered after FBI agents gunned him down at the
famous theater in Chicago. The fingerprints of the illegal immigrants
were discovered when they were arrested and deported. The fingerprints
of one of the individuals were reconstructed, his original identity
was discovered, and he is serving 30 years in Florida for drug
charges. Each case I found has such an ending, so pass on the word to
THINK TWICE about such a procedure. You are simply making yourself
stand out more, and your fingerprints become even more unique than if
you left them alone.

-------
-JP