funsec mailing list archives

Re: 1 in 3 workers write down passwords

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:39:03 -0400

On 10/18/06, coderman <coderman () gmail com> wrote:
On 10/17/06, Ron <iago () valhallalegends com> wrote:
> Hmm, I generally tout myself as a security guy, but I have to admit,
> even I do that sometimes.

agreed; once your password list gets long enough you need to do it.
(i'm counting 27 high entropy passwords in my file, like a9@7.8X7&17Rd5#Dw)

> Generally, when I'm given a password for a remote system that is
> something like "7QbbBr2CqqS", I'll write the password, all by itself, on
> a yellow sticky note and stick it to my monitor for a week or two, until
> I feel like I've memorized it well enough to toss (fine, eat) the note.

i don't even bother trying to memorize.  instead i boot into a system
with full disk encryption using a single good password/passphrase that
i _can_ remember.  that is where the text file with all the other
passwords lives.  (this system also contains all my authorized private
ssh keys, which i prefer to passwords when possible)

I would at least use a keyring on top of having a txt file on an encrypted disk.
Whole disk encryption is great and all, but its not a security buffer
once you boot up. If someone can compromise the userland part of your
workstation through the nic(via html, java, java script,, random
OS/application flaw) the file is not encrypted to them.

-JP