funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] FTC Hangs Up on Telemarketers' Pitch

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:06:49 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Dave Killion wrote:

On 10/17/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

I figure it will set me back about $500 total for the card and then
throw it
in a spare computer I've got lying around.  I'd set it up with a white
list
of callerID's to automatically pass-through, and a recording for all
others
that informs them I don't take sales calls, etc, and to press one if
they
are not a sales call.

I just gotta find the time...

You also have to find sales callers who don't hit one when they hear that
message.

I'm hoping whatever I put in the 'etc' part will discourage them from doing
so.  Something along the lines of:

"This number is on the Do Not Call list. If this is a sales call, hang up
now, or be subject to penalty under FTC Rule, 16 C.F.R. Part 310.  If this
is not a sales call, please press one now."

Try to make it short, sweet, and legalistic enough to make the
100-rupee-a-day telemarketers at least think twice about pressing 1.

Most people outside the US, aren't going to be too worried about FTC Rule,
16 C.F.R. Part 310.

The system will also have a log of the time, date, and callerID of the call,
and it can even record the call if I like (I'd have to add a notice at the
beginning, I'm sure), so if I did want to post a complaint, I could script
up something that automatically filed the complaint for me - e.g. I could
hook in something that say I dialed some sequence of numbers that it would
take me off the call, play a recorded message ("You have violated FTC Rule,
16 C.F.R. Part 310, and a complaint is being generated..." etc), similar to

That's a good idea.

the "Phone Butler" gadget (
http://www.privacycorps.com/pages/phone-butler-review.htm - $40~$50 + S/H)
people buy to politely hang up on people.

Will it stop them all?  Probably not.  Will it drop my 3-5 calls a day to
something more reasonable?  I hope so!

I understand that I'd be spending more time setting this up than I'd ever
spend dealing with calls, but it's more than the time - it's the disruption,
the frustration, etc that I'd be getting rid of.

I see it as a public service and a labour of love. Plus, I enjoy winding
up the senior staff, who very well understand what I'm doing to them.