funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cheap cellphones.

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:17:18 -0500

> Actually you are supposed to pay customs on things that you buy from
foreign
> countries, so while the sale is legal, you're probably violating the law
by
> not reporting it and paying the tariff.
>
> The small fry largely go unnoticed, but that doesnt mean that its legal.

There's an amount below which you don't have to report it, isn't there? I
know there is when I walk through customs. I don't remember the amount.

The things you buy from a company outside your country, in the comfort of
your own home, do not have the same tourist exemption that the thing you buy
on vacation in another country do.

From her majesty's own web pages..

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&propertyType=document&resetCT=true&id=HMCE_CL_0014545

Anyway this has gotten so far off topic it makes me laff out loud...

Have a great terror-free week solly.  I love you guys..