funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cheap cellphones.

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 15:46:55 -0500

On 8/13/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:

I already have a cellphone.

But I've just been looking into buying a handheld GPS, because my wife and
I go walking a lot.

I can buy the Garmin Etrex Vista cx for £268 at a cheap UK vendor.

But on Ebay, there's people selling them for £182. Looking carefully, I
can see that these sellers are in the USA,

In the UK, I'd be paying VAT. Buying from the US, the vendor doesn't have
to pay VAT. I guess he's paying his own taxes, but that isn't my problem.

This is the grey market in action. It's legal; the only people who are
hurt, are the people who are trying to sell the same product in different
countries, at very different prices. Ebay is the medium for international
arbitrage.

Actually you are supposed to pay customs on things that you buy from foreign
countries, so while the sale is legal, you're probably violating the law by
not reporting it and paying the tariff.

The small fry largely go unnoticed, but that doesnt mean that its legal.