funsec mailing list archives

Cheap cellphones.

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:37:40 +0100 (BST)

I already have a cellphone.

But I've just been looking into buying a handheld GPS, because my wife and
I go walking a lot.

I can buy the Garmin Etrex Vista cx for £268 at a cheap UK vendor.

But on Ebay, there's people selling them for £182. Looking carefully, I
can see that these sellers are in the USA,

In the UK, I'd be paying VAT. Buying from the US, the vendor doesn't have
to pay VAT. I guess he's paying his own taxes, but that isn't my problem.

This is the grey market in action. It's legal; the only people who are
hurt, are the people who are trying to sell the same product in different
countries, at very different prices. Ebay is the medium for international
arbitrage.

I imagine a GPS could be used by terrorists. But so can a baseball bat.