funsec mailing list archives

RE: 3 Arrested on Terrorism Charges in Mich. forbuyingprepaidcellphones

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 15:36:58 -0400

Right now we really don't know what they were going to do with those phones.  We certainly have god, plausible reasons
for them buying the phones.

  Is the reason they got arrested was because they were middle eastern?  Or because they bought 1000 phones and it
seemed suspicious?
  Would have I been arrested for doing the same thing?  I'm a plain old bearded white guy who looks like he'd be more
at home in the deep south or even better Montana, than in Eastern Mass (I would be too, actually).  Now would I be
arrested for buying 1000 of those phones or simply denied to purchase that 4th phone at that wall mart?

  The only thing we know for sure is what WE would do with the phones....  Sell them at a profit most likely.

   What were those fellows going to do with those phones?  We may never know, but it sure did sound suspicious to me.
Why take the batteries out?  Do they actually sell them without batteries?  Sounds kinda fishey to me... I can kinda
see removing the packaging (probably a simple blister pack like a Matchbox car woul dbe packaged in. and I could
understand removing the charger to sell on the side... But removing the batteries to sell JUST the phone?   Kinda
fishey...  But illegal?  Not anywhere here in the states that I know of....

 Mike B

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580