funsec mailing list archives

Re: 3 Arrested on Terrorism Charges in Mich. forbuyingprepaid cellphones

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:35:04 -0500

> "They were being paid by check for the phones they purchased. This was
not
> cash under the table or some hidden thing," Baumgartel said. "These are
> college students. This is what college students do. They're more willing
> drive around to try to make money."

And that's exactly what it sounds like to me - a perfectly legal
buy-it-cheap, sell-it-at-a-margin deal.

We'll mark this for followup...  Its amazing how in denial some people are..

First the tax evasion and money laundering aspect of this is gonna get them
some time. Yes Solly, not what they were charged with(yet)

Second, a court of law will settle the terrorism charges. Innocent until
proven guilty.

If you were simply selling them at a profit, why go thru all the trouble of
unpackaging them? If this was such a moneymaker, why not incorporate and do
it legit? Make even more profit and not have to worry about the number of
phones etc.

LE and Intelligence services are damned if they do and damned if they
dont... Connect the dots,  get critcized from the armchair swami's
Don't connect the dots, get accused of incompentence...