funsec mailing list archives

Re: s00per firewall

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:24:49 -0400

On 7/15/06, Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:
On 7/14/06, Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:
> Is that the best method for combating DoS and botnets though? Creating
> a DB of hosts and logging their patterns of activity?
>
> Is their an algorithm of "normal" net activity you can apply to
> different IP blocks based on who resells them? Do consumer blocks act
> with a general measure of a certain type of activity?
>
> It seems like a promising method IMO

Sounds familiar to me. I guess you'd have to start logging all
activity on those networks and then mine that data for usage trends
and whatnot.

Once again US government/military needs pave the way for technological advances.

Brian <who is incredibly smug - don't you think?>

I was thinking more along the lines of a company monitoring their own
clientele, but hey if the Govt would actually do something useful with
all their snooping and stop DoS's that would be pretty nifty.

-JP<who hasnt seen any good come out of data mining by The Man so far>