funsec mailing list archives

Re: Question about Viruses

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:59:16 +0100 (BST)

3. Why would you want to do this?
As a virus writer, you know that most AV systems are single threaded.

You do? Well, maybe a virus writer would think that.

But as an antivirus writer, I *know* that the online virus blockers (Virus
Guard and Winguard") were definitely not single threaded, and I'd guess
that the same would be true for all other AV products. It would be daft to
do it single-threaded.

If you plant a ton of signatures that take time to clean, then you can be
sure the AV won't be looking for you while it is busy cleaning stuff.

Couldn't the AV simply block the access to other files during the
scanning/cleaning?

No need, each time a file is opened by the operating system, the virus
scanner is invoked to check the file first. So, if you open a second file
while the first file is being scannedd, you'll have two instances of the
virus checker active. If you open a third, ... and so on.

I don't know how some AV systems handle multiple/conflicting signatures.
If a single file tests postive for a bunch of different viruses, what
would happen?  (I think Norton takes a "first come" approach.)

It depends on the AV (for example, some AVs might have different "levels
of confidence" of signatures; so that a signature with higher level
overrules the result with lower level).

Findvirus would detect the last infection, and report that. So, if a file
were infected by Jerusalem virus and then Vacsina, it would report
Vacsina.

If Findvirus is told to repair the file, then it would detect and repair
Vacsina, then rescan the file, and detect and repair jerusalem, then
rescan the file and find that it was clean.

We used to call this situation "dual infected files, but what would happen
more often, was a "virus sandwich". The virus checks something
about the file and doesn't infect it doubly (true for nearly all viruses).
But if a second virus infects the file, it will often mask that marker, so
the first virus would reinfect. Then the second virus would infect again.
Then the first, then the second, ... and so on. So you could have a
situation where you'd peel off layer after layer of infections, before
eventually getting down to the original file.

On the other hand, the question in
most cases reads "Is the file dangerous?" instead of "Which particular
breed of malware is it?", so it might be a bit irrelevant.

If you're going to do a repair, you *must* do an exact identification
first. If you're going to delete, then it makes some sense not to do an
exact identification.

I also don't know if they continue checking after cleaning the first
virus.  If they don't, then plant a fake "easy clean" virus signature
on yourself to avoid a more complicated detection.

If they don't, they should be shot.

Peter