funsec mailing list archives

Re: Overloading AV software, was Question about Viruses

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:58:49 -0400

On 7/7/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
> I guess thats why the eicar site says:
> -------------------------
> The first 68 characters is the known string. It may be optionally
> appended by any combination of whitespace characters with the total
> file length not exceeding 128 characters. The only whitespace
> characters allowed are the space character, tab, LF, CR, CTRL-Z. To
> keep things simple the file uses only upper case letters, digits and
> punctuation marks, and does not include spaces.
>
> -------------------------
>
> Pretty specific. This seems kind of silly to me, as any variation of
> code before the detection bit would result in the detection bit being
> in a different location, and therefore result in the virus not being
> detected, correct?

Correct. That's the way that the Eicar test file is *supposed* to be. By
the way, please don't call the Eicar test file a virus,

I was actually referring to the code of a virus, not the eicar test file.

> Is this a leftover of the "Signature Wars" where people were trying to
> sell their AV by saying "mine detects 60,000 viriuses", 'well mine
> detects 80,000', etc, etc.?

I never noticed such a war - maybe the marketroids did that. Certainly,
Findvirus, when you run it, tells you how many things it's scanning for.
That seemed like something people would like to know. But I notice that
the figure is up to 200,000 now.

well, I just ran a script to insert a newline character into all the
source code for viruses I downloaded from
http://www.totallygeek.com/vscdb/ so the number is now more like
400,000 :-)

-JP<who single-handledly doubled all known viruses in one day>