funsec mailing list archives

Re: Question about Viruses

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:57:08 -0400

On 7/7/06, <...> <massimo () grandmedia si> wrote:
did you REALLY read what you wrote before hitting return?

if you get identified as "another" virus means you ARE identified :-(
if you are identified you GO TO JAIL without collecting the money ;-)

default action: remove/disinfect
backup action: quarantine

I was thinking more along the lines of since most AV still tries to
disinfect/clean a file, rather than assume it is a whole virus, that a
programmer could insert the recognized code with the unrecognized code
attached, the program would report the file being cleaned and
everything is back to normal. If this is stupid, please let me know,
as I am not a programmer and not sure if this is how things work.

This way the engine wouldnt submit the new virus to the parent company
for developers to figure out a removal procedure.

Like I said, I am not a coder (yet, I am trying to learn in my spare
time), so lemme know if this is completely incorrect.

I only thought this might be the case as I encountered a virus that
was detected as one thing, but was showing infection methods and files
not associated with it as well as not performing its stated objective
(eg: putting links in favorites for pr0n)

-JP<who sometimes thinks before hitting "send">

you're dead or in jail.....