funsec mailing list archives

Re: Finn Takes Gold at Mobe Throwing Contest

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:31:03 -0400

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:49:23 EDT, Blanchard_Michael () emc com said:
I dunno, I'm sure that I could throw a baseball, football, heck prolly even a
soccor ball 100yards.

In most baseball stadiums, the outfield fence is about 400 feet - a bit
over 100 yards.  It's a *long* throw for a professional from the warning
track to the basemen, and a miracle to make it from there to home plate.

Also, given that 40-50 yards is a *long* pass for a professional quarterback,
and making a 70-yard pass is likely to have you remembered for generations, the
ability to air a football 100 yards seems unlikely.

(And yes, I'm aware it's harder to do when you're trying to hit a fast-moving
wide receiver while 3 linebackers are trying to connect your face mask to
the ground...)

http://www.allfootballbettinglines.com/NFL/i_passing.htm reports a total
of 9 99-yard pass completions, 8 98 yarders, and 5 97 yarders. In all of
NFL history.  And those *include* any motion the reciever made after catching
the ball (if it goes over 50 yards, you're probably *way* past the defensive
secondary, and there's nobody to stop you from running it in...)