funsec mailing list archives

Re: why Senator Stevens is right on Net Neutrality

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:03:30 -0500

On 7/6/06, Young, Keith <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov> wrote:
Ah, so your local loop provides DSL/analog connectivity to your house.
Can MCI/Sprint/Qwest/etc provide the same connectivity? If not, has
SBC/AT&T stated that they won't perform QoS limiting on "partner"
companies such as MCI/Sprint/Qwest/etc that use SBC/AT&T for access into
your home?

This is the crux of the problem -- broadband access is currently
provided by DSL (telcos), cable modem (cable), highspeed wireless
(telcos), and satellite companies. Since 3 out of the 4 are currently
against net neutrality, we won't have many/any options to let supply and
demand work correctly. Therefore, you won't be able to pick your choice
of providers that want net neutrality.

None of this has anything to do with supply and demand. The crux of
the matter is that, where I live, SBC owns the wire to my house. They
also own most of the fiber to my neighborhood (local cable company
also has fiber to the neighborhood). That is their property provided
they maintain their agreements - whatever they are - with the city
(which would include my neighbors and I) for the ground they use.

If they lease use of that property - which they do in other areas - to
other providers then those providers will need to reach an agreement
which is advantageous to their ends. Or, conversely, they'll need to
appeal to the city OR run their own wire/fiber. When/If they do that,
I'll have my choice. If they don't, they won't get my business.

Currently, for voice and data I have a choice between SBC and the
local cable company; for video I have satellite and the cable company
to choose from. Next year I'll have SBC for video as well. That year I
may also have another cell choice, the local cable company.

Sand seeks its own level and so do competitive choices. Only when you
regulate choices do you put into play unnatural forces that doom
growth.

> Comcast not providing VoIP or broadband?

Doesn't matter. Comcast is against net neutrality.

I guess I don't understand this point. Mine was simply that you have a
choice beyond Verizon - which was your question - for everything best
I can tell.