funsec mailing list archives

Re: why Senator Stevens is right on Net Neutrality

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:46:20 +0100 (BST)

You guys and your "profit". You are gonna be so screwed when the
replicator gets invented. (see: StarTrek)

As soon as we have the replicator, we can mass produce any form of
currency or material. Gold, Drugs, Hookers, Gas, more Replicators:
whatever you place value on can be reproduced without cost, the laws
of physics be damned.

It already happened, to a large extent. In the developed world,
productions of good is very much a minority of the economy, the lion's
share of the economy is stuff that isn't physical goods.

Use your replicator to make me a haircut. Or a trip to Disneyland. You
can't. And, collectively, we place a lot more value on things like that,
than on physical goods.