funsec mailing list archives

RE: eWeek: Government-Funded Startup Blasts Rootkits

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:09:43 -0800

Date sent:              Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:07:24 +1200
From:                   Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>

Of course, in MFM days (not sure if there is an IDE equivalent --
anyone??) there was the old trick of cutting (or was it pulling to
zero?) the "write enable" line in the drive cable...

Yeah, MFM was a lot easier.  I remember that we found all kinds of problems with
IDE: there was a lack of consistency in how the spec was implemented in this
regard.  There was a line you could cut on some IDE controllers, but the
differences meant that making it work with all required a lot of extra circuitry.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
If there's one thing I despise more than hypocrisy it's hypocrisy
in other people.                                     - Anton Aylward
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm