funsec mailing list archives

RE: eWeek: Government-Funded Startup Blasts Rootkits

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:07:24 +1200

Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah, to me:

There have been various "hardware antivirus" (or more generically
"security") products.  All of these that I've ever seen plug in between
the IDE controller and IDE drive (I think there were a few very early
ones that worked with pre-IDE drives too) and, if you had to describe
their operation in just a few words (what, me??) you'd say they were
"hardware partition access managers".

Interesting.  I reviewed three different hardware AVs (that I recall), and none were
related to the drive controllers, although all provided similar functions.

I reviewed one while at VB -- forget the name and can't be bothered
looking it up right now, but it was made by a UK outfit (based
somewhere in Scotland?) and worked as described in my earlier message.

Around the same time another "drive interceptor" was being quite
heavily advertised/PR'ed in several of the security magazines (VB
doesn't take advertising so we didn't see it).  Also, another very
similar device, sold under various OEM versions, but I think most
widely known as "Sherriff" or "Drive Sherriff" or "Data Sherriff" or
something similar (at least in the US) works in (much) the same way
(based on skimming the manual of one in a CompUSA or similar...).

Of course, in MFM days (not sure if there is an IDE equivalent --
anyone??) there was the old trick of cutting (or was it pulling to
zero?) the "write enable" line in the drive cable...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald