funsec mailing list archives

Re: University of South Carolina e-Mail Compromises Student IDs

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:52:25 -0500

I guess this is what I was thinking of, so far as DLs go:

"Can a state use my SSN as my drivers' license number?
No. The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004
prohibits states from displaying your SSN on drivers' licenses or
motor vehicle registrations. The law went into effect on December 17,
2005 and applies to all licenses, registrations, and identification
cards issued after that date.

More information on the Act is available from the Social Security
Administration at www.ssa.gov/legislation/legis_bulletin_010705.html
and from the Congressional Research Service at
www.fas.org/irp/crs/RL32722.pdf."

And the INTENT of the number was not to ever be a national ID
number...but we're boiled frogs....