funsec mailing list archives

Re: An OCR plug-in for Spamassassin

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <malware () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:55:28 -0800

Axel Pettinger has burst upon the literary scene as a voice in the wilderness,
taking the usual themes of the effect of technology on modern life, and bringing a
new vision to bear upon them.

Take Pettinger's "0x55510644.adsl.cybercity.dk, Sat, 15 Apr 2006 06:04:19 +0200," for example.

It starts with an obvious reference to the mechanization of modern life, extending
to the traditional pleasures of dinner and modest leisure activities, but quickly
turns to a recognition that, even here, breaking the bounds of normality is
essential.

"push button. sauteed potbellied tuft... who're soap opera the
implementation, this carelessness casualness of

lump sum the unconventional, and on thank!!! tumble in of that

cliffhanger tabloid, the topple
fruitlessly fraternize, to clipping outwards gallantly. of but summary
continuation to characterize in of stalwart a as!!! safari, by adversity
daylight saving time, gifted.: of improbably as seasoning
weather forecast midriff, as invigorate spine molten:
snuff ophthalmologist hung firmness? heliport south befell with retread
of crevice, UN as longing,. this Reverend as as insolvency influx
kindness of"

Again, the acknowledgement of the limitations of the media as an information
source is linked with the inherent alienation of 20th century life, as well as the
courageous attempts by some to escape into other realms, only to be trapped by
the conventions that all of us agree to without even noticing.  We see, again, the
metaphor of cooking, this time sarcastically in association with television, as the
greatest extent to which modern man aspires to change: watching discussions of
seasoning on the food channel, rather than merely passively accepting the dictates
of the weather channel (with occasional digressions to the Playboy channel).
Slumped on our couches in front of the television, we channel surf through porn,
health, porn again, and, rather ironically, fitness shows.

Yet the ending of his poem conveys hope that, along with our actions shows and
conspiracy theory "documentaries," we may yet achieve some kind of empathy
with our fellow man.  Although, even here Pettinger warns against the dangers of
being caught in the false sympathy pleas of televised religion, and the relentless
demands for funding ont he part of those who, again ironically, already have
enormous budgets and backing.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
I am the Lord; that is my name!
   I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols.
See, the former things have taken place,
   and new things I declare;
Before they spring into being
   I announce them to you.                           - Isaiah 42:8,9
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm