funsec mailing list archives

Re: AOL Charged With Blocking Opponents' e-Mail

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:16:33 -0600

Still you guys are missing the point,

Email should be a method of communication, not a method of advertising.
Think of it as a cell phone: Do you want advertising on your mobe? Would
you like to give companies incentives to advertise on this medium? Why
are you putting up with it on email then?

AOL just wants a way to make up for missing out on the internet
advertising revenue, and I don't blame them. Still we havent shown
advertisers that sending averts via SMTP is wrong, and look at what
happened, more than half of all traffic is now spam. Using the phone
analogy, how would you like over half of all your calls to be
solicitations? If you disagree with the cell phone analogy, just replace
cell phone with regular phone.

First person who mentions CAN-SPAM as "telling advertisers they
shouldn't spam" is getting signed up for so much gay porn spam they will
qualify to be ordained as a catholic priest. ;-)

-JP