funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Homeland Security Official Arrested in Online Sex Sting

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:52:39 -0800

Date sent:              Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:17:53 -0500
From:                   "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>

In the story, the law has to do with a THOUGHT, which obviously does
NOT have a victim at all. Is the guy a sick puppy? Yep, but that's not
a crime either.

The exact wording of specific statutes can be important here.  However, there are
other issues related to this concept.  In one of my recent classes I had a couple of
LEOs who had been forced to look into situations where "producers" and
distributors of child porn had used some fairly sophisticated image manipulation to
a) "enhance" "desireable" characteristics (which is, itself, fairly ick-making), b)
destroy evidence that could be used to investigate the crime and track down
victims, and c) cloud the legal issue for those caught in possession.

(Sorry, I suppose this issue isn't much fun.)

I'd
save us all a lot of money and simply spend 50 cents on a .45 and be
done with it.

Are they really that cheap where you are?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
We are always too busy for our children; we never give them the
time or interest they deserve. We lavish gifts upon them; but the
most precious gift, our personal association, which means so much
to them, we give grudgingly.                            - Mark Twain
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm