funsec mailing list archives

U.S. Homeland Security Official Arrested in Online Sex Sting

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:18:14 -0500

On 4/5/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
I understand it's a crime if you thought a girl was over 18, and she's
actually under 18, because what counts is what is true, not what you
thought was true.

But wouldn't that also mean that the reverse is true, if the person he was
actually seducing was a 45 year old fed?

Colour me confused.

Neither law is a GOOD law.

In your scenario the law has to do with a physical act which may or
may not produce a victim, depending on the age of the would-be victim.

In the story, the law has to do with a THOUGHT, which obviously does
NOT have a victim at all. Is the guy a sick puppy? Yep, but that's not
a crime either.

What's really sick, though, is that if they caught this guy actually
raping/molesting the girl he'd just get a couple of years in jail. I'd
save us all a lot of money and simply spend 50 cents on a .45 and be
done with it.