funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Homeland Security Official Arrested in Online Sex Sting

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:23:23 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 4/5/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
I understand it's a crime if you thought a girl was over 18, and she's
actually under 18, because what counts is what is true, not what you
thought was true.

But wouldn't that also mean that the reverse is true, if the person he was
actually seducing was a 45 year old fed?

Colour me confused.

Neither law is a GOOD law.

In your scenario the law has to do with a physical act which may or
may not produce a victim, depending on the age of the would-be victim.

In the story, the law has to do with a THOUGHT, which obviously does
NOT have a victim at all. Is the guy a sick puppy? Yep, but that's not
a crime either.

What's really sick, though, is that if they caught this guy actually
raping/molesting the girl he'd just get a couple of years in jail. I'd
save us all a lot of money and simply spend 50 cents on a .45 and be
done with it.

My understanding was that there never was a girl. It was all a sting, and
I doubt if they use real girls in their sting operations.

You just condemned a man to death for flirting with a 45 year old FBI
operative.

When my girls were 14, they found out about IRC and suchlike. Initially, I
used to lurk in the same channel or chatroom they were in, so I could
check up on them. But they didn't do anything much, and now I don't bother
checking on them any more. Well, they'd probably be quite annoyed with me
if I did, they're mid-twenties now.

Shouldn't someone do something about all the rape, underage sex and incest
in the Bible?