funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oops: McAfee Update Exterminates Excel

From: "Joe Jaroch (Tera Innovations, Inc.)" <security () terainnovations com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:13:33 -0600

I don't really see why these companies can't do testing before releasing definitions. We test (and I'm sure others test) all of the definitions before releasing them by updating our copies of our program internally, and then using a network of ~20 high end computers to scan (on-demand scan, which should really be almost exactly the same as an on access scan in most cases) a few million 'clean' files. With fast enough computers that I'm sure McAfee could afford, this process takes just a couple minutes. I'm imagining (or at least hoping) that well established companies do this, and I don't see why they wouldn't. Even when a brand new, global threat comes out, you NEED to test even the beta definitions because if the cure is worse than the illness, we have a problem.

I also wonder what definition they could have added which caused CTX to be detected. Were they modifying the actual CTX detection, or did they find a new variant?

-Joe Jaroch
Tera Innovations, Incorporated.