funsec mailing list archives

RE: Oops: McAfee Update Exterminates Excel

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:48:42 -0500

Here's the list of all files that it false positived on....  I saw naprdmgr.exe and updateUI.exe in there... Two of
McAfee's own files!
  How was this not detected in their DAT testing?

http://vil.nai.com/images/CTX_file_list.pdf

Could have been worse tho, and this is prolly the worse thing that's happened with DATs in the past 5 or so years....
I guess everyone is allowed one SNAFU a decade... The next 5 years should be a cake walk :-)

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, MCSE, MCP+I
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580