funsec mailing list archives

RE: Oops: McAfee Update Exterminates Excel

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:15:41 +1300

Larry Seltzer wrote:

I talk about this in my column yesterday. I presume in that column that it
would be difficult to test an on-access scanner on a full Windows
installation, but now that I think about it again couldn't you just traverse
the system using touch or something like that?

When I was at Virus Bulletin, "something like that" was the way we
tested the overhead of on-access scanners.  We had a little utility
that simply traversed the whole directory tree opening then closing
each file it found.  Run multiple times over a decent-sized directory
of known clean (and varying-sized) .EXEs (and later various OLE2 format
files too -- presumably they may have also added a few script and HTML
files since I left and these became a larger part of the extant threat)
with the first (disk-cache "priming") run ignored and with the on-
access scanner in various states some rather interesting results were
revealed.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald