funsec mailing list archives

Re: Administrator Accounts

From: James Kehl <shykta () dione ids pl>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:26:55 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Vicky Røde wrote:

According to uac's own blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/), users will run
as a standard user even administrators. vista will be implementing
something similar to sudo to which i say, about time.

So the security model of Vista is designed to deliberately (and
irreversably??) break all those "mission critical" apps written way
back before any cared that much about security (because they hadn't
heard about that "Internet thing" yet) and all those more recent apps
written by a pack of gibbons that (read my recent post in this thread
for the rest...)??

Deliberate backwards-incompatibility wouldn't really surprise me. After
all, there's a business case there - more than can be said for some
of their latest ideas.

For instance, check out the Win64 file system redirector - needed because
somehow System32 is now the province of 64-bit DLLs. Funny, I would have
thought those would really suit a System64 directory...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win64/win64/file_system_redirector.asp

(Sounds like Win64's got a built-in rootkit! 32-bit virus scanners? Why
on earth would they want to see the filesystem as it really is?)

[Whups, sorry for OT-ness!]

James