funsec mailing list archives

Re: Administrator Accounts

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:59:41 -0800

Larry Seltzer wrote:
I would assume that all, or nearly all enterprise Windows users are logging
into a domain. This means that their rights are controlled through domain
administration, and making the average user an administrator would be an
insane thing to do.

Sane or not, I believe it's quite common to make someone a local admin on their machine, via their normal domain login. Otherwise (at least historically) you couldn't do things like install software, add printers, change your network settings, etc... quite problematic for roaming laptop users.

I'm sure a lot of that has been improved, but I doubt the basic need (maybe perception of need?) has disappeared.

I like the way the Mac does it, makes you quite comfortable as a
regular user, and prompt for the password when you need to do something that takes privs.

                                        Ryan