funsec mailing list archives

Re: Administrator Accounts

From: Vicky Røde <aptgetd () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:36:27 -0800

Larry Seltzer wrote:
I just got off a press call with Microsoft about the "Enterprise CTP"
release of Windows Vista, basically a new beta (they don't want to use the
word beta) oriented at enterprises.

One of the things that Brad Something, Lord High Product Manager for Windows
Vista said was that 80% of Windows enterprise users run as administrator. He
said this as a way of pitching the new User Account Control (UAC) feature
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/library/0d75f774-8514-4c9e-ac
08-4c21f5c6c2d9.mspx) which is certainly a cool and useful feature. I'm sure
I didn't misunderstand him.
---------------------
According to uac's own blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/), users will run
as a standard user even administrators. vista will be implementing
something similar to sudo to which i say, about time.

regards,
/virendra

I would assume that all, or nearly all enterprise Windows users are logging
into a domain. This means that their rights are controlled through domain
administration, and making the average user an administrator would be an
insane thing to do.

It also appears to me that UAC is a matter for local accounts, not domain
accounts. So Vista, being a client OS, really can't address the problem.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer