funsec mailing list archives

Re: Has World Oil Production Passed Its Peak?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:33:20 -0500

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:57:51 EST, Larry Seltzer said:

time it's different." I specifically remember in college (25 years ago) a
professor insisting that supply was all downhill and that the crisis we were
in then was child's play compared to the years to come.

Well, the prof was totally right.  The supply *is* downhill, as we're burning
through those hydrocarbons faster than new biomass is forming (hint - if our
consumption was matched by biomass formation, the CO2 concentration in the
atmosphere would remain constant...)

And if you thought the mess then with some 3B people on the planet was bad,
wait till 8B or 9B people that depend on a petrochemical-sustained lifestyle
suddenly get a rude awakening....