funsec mailing list archives

Re[4]: Postage Is Due for Companies Sending E-Mail

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 03:48:23 +0100

Good Morning,

LS> This is part of how you're missing the basic point: Goodmail is not a spam
LS> fighting scheme. It's not trying to be one. What it is is a way for

Cheap rethorical trick: I am obviously not missing the basic point.
So cheap it is close to insulting. I guess it is a matter of
definition, just as rootkits are.

BTW, Goodmail claims that it adresses the following issue "Both spam
and phishing have imposed vexing challenges on email" - so it is
clearly a solution against spam's direct and indirect effects.

Rest assured that I understand that aspect. As I said, it is a bit
like first class mail. Do you disagree with that qualification?

Should I want to send bulk mail to AOL or whoever else uses the
system, that's probably what I would use. Some spammer might even want
to use it anyway if it is cheap enough compared to the profit they make.
But that is a way to be sure one reaches users, customers, contacts,
prospects, whatever, and that is precisely what legitimate businesses
are after, given the abysmal failures of bayesian spam filters, black
hole lists etc...

Now, the problem is that, unless that particular system is universal,
legitimate mail senders will _still_ have to deal with other
systems...

Some systems block the MTA altogether
Some systems require the MTA to be specifically identified.
Some systems will accept the mail and quarantine it until some kind of
challenge is satisfied.

Try to consider the following:

I currently have significant problems with AOL's dumb filtering.

I am not a mass mailer. Let's say I have 25 AOL users I need to reach
with a couple of mails each week. Price is not really an issue, I
understand the system would be quite cheap.

Should I pay 2 dollars a month? Obtain invoices, put them in my
accounting? Should I keep an eye on my Goodmail status? Should I
prepay for a year? What happens if I run out of credit? Automatic
microcharges to my CC? If the system is successful, how do I deal with
the many ISPs and their many Goodmail equivalents? Should I hire a
person to monitor our status/accounts with those diverse providers?

Too much hassle.

--
Best regards,
Pierre                            mailto:pierre () datarescue com