funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sony to patch copy-protected,

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:14:18 -0800

Date sent:              Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:29:21 -0800
From:                   Rob Thompson <my.security.lists () gmail com>

Sad part is the patch that they are pushing out via their website
attempts to install itself via ActiveX.  As far as I know, doing it
that way, doesn't that mean that they are taking away our ability to
see what exactly they are doing to our machine when they "patch" it?
As there isn't an actual executable that can be taken apart and
analyzed?

Hey, if you can't fool a Web server and decompile the ActiveX control, we're
going to have to take away your copy of Ida Pro ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
        To define recursion, we must first define recursion.
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade