funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sony to patch copy-protected,

From: Rob Thompson <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:22:35 -0800

In my limited tests of this kind of thing (haven't tried for the F4I
"rootkit" yet though), Sony (and other music publishers) have been
quite forthcoming with instructions on how to work around possible
problems caused by their various DRM warez included on various forms of
"copy protected" CDs.  They usually want to know a little information,
such as what title and where you bought it -- just tell them Amazon and
then it doesn't matter that you may not be in the US where (supposedly)
most of these DRM/copy-protected discs have been released.

Actually I had done that well over three hours ago.  Used VanZant as I
knew that was one of them and I know Amazon is selling it...  ;p

Though it's been well over three hours and still no patch.  Good thing
I didn't have anything really important on my box that may have broken
and required that "uninstall" eh???

You know, stuff like this happens and it makes me glad that I stopped
buying CD's years ago.  I just listen to Internet Radio or to that
really good Techno that you just can't buy in a store...

On a side note though:  Harvey Danger I think is on the right path.
They are offering their CD online via Torrent - so it shouldn't really
cost them anything to distribute.  They are offering their CD
basically for free directly from their own website.  You download it
and you can have it.  They just ask if you feel that it is worth any
money to you, that you make a donation to the link that they provide
on their site.  If you don't want to donate, then don't.  No harm, no
foul.

The money from the sale actually goes to them.  Where it belongs.  And
you can try it before you buy it.

I don't know about y'all, but I can't tell you how many CD's I have
bought for that one killer song.  And that one killer song was the
only song worth listening to on the entire DISK.

Lastly, for what it's worth.  I've never been a Harvey Danger fan.
But I snagged their disk.  I figured worse case, I hit DEL.  Turns
out, it really is a pretty darn good album.