funsec mailing list archives

RE: How's this for fun?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:19:52 +0100 (BST)

  By their nature, surface mail letters are a single instance, pay per play.
Telephone calls are a bit closer to an ISP.  Pay per play if you want to
talk to someone outside of your area code (somewhat area code).  ISP's
pricing structures have traditionally been on a speed level tier.  If an ISP
wants to break out of that traditional pricing structure, more power to

They already have. My ISP for DSL, gives me unlimited use from midnight to
8am, then 50 gb/month for the other times. I think a lot of ISPs have this
sort of limitation.

And I did think of changing ISP when they went over to this scheme, but A)
it's a lot of hassle to change six DSL lines, and B) I can get about 80%
of what I need doing in their off-peak time and C) it turns out they can't
actually measure how much I use during peak times.

them.  But they'll not be able to survive long.  Limited use Internet access
went the way of the dinosaur about 12ish years ago.  Although I'm still very
surprised to see AOL offering free hours, which would make me assume they're
still on an hourly pricing structure....

And since AOL is by far the biggest ISP, the dinosaurs still roam the
net.