funsec mailing list archives

RE: How's this for fun?

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:17:02 -0400

<snip>

  Why should I have to pay more just because some idiots send spam to
10's
of millions of people and I only want to operate my Crochet hobby list?
I'm
already paying for the pipe, and certain speed up/down.  The speed should
be
the limit, not the number of mail messages I send....

Why dont you feel the same way about telephone calls and surface mail
letters?

An ISP has the right to offer a contract that bills you partly by
bandwidth, partly by number of emails sent, if they want to. No-one has
the right to dictate the pricing structure of a company, the only right
you have, is to decide to accept their offer or not.

 I certainly agree!  IF an ISP would like to start charger per e-mail that
is fine, doesn't mean I have to stay with them :-)

  By their nature, surface mail letters are a single instance, pay per play.
Telephone calls are a bit closer to an ISP.  Pay per play if you want to
talk to someone outside of your area code (somewhat area code).  ISP's
pricing structures have traditionally been on a speed level tier.  If an ISP
wants to break out of that traditional pricing structure, more power to
them.  But they'll not be able to survive long.  Limited use Internet access
went the way of the dinosaur about 12ish years ago.  Although I'm still very
surprised to see AOL offering free hours, which would make me assume they're
still on an hourly pricing structure....

 Mike B