funsec mailing list archives

Re: The end of Phishing in sight?

From: Security Lists <securitylists () uniontown com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:56:52 -0400

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Phisher has more time than that (if I am understanding the SecurID resync process correctly).

I think normally a user can enter a token code that can be 1 token too old, or 1 token too new, and the ACE server just takes it and transparently resyncs up/down 1 minute accordingly (I think). This is the normal day-to-day resyncing, and this is why heavy users usually don't fade out of sync and never see resync prompts.

But, when a token that's entered outside a much larger timeframe (+/- 10 minutes comes to mind for some reason), that user gets placed in "next token mode" where they need to enter a second subsequent token. These users are familiar with SecurID are also probably familiar with this procedure. This lets the SecurID server resync with a bigger jump than the +/- 1 minute default (the 3 minute window) for the user who only uses the token twice a year ( I THINK).

So, a Phisher simulates the "next token mode" for EVERY victim they hit on their spoofed page, this effectively gives them a 20 minute window of opportunity(?) of +/- 10 minutes for each victim...?

I did a quick google and couldn't find the actual numbers or to confirm that this is how they work, that 10 minute thing just rings a bell to me from troubleshooting way back a few years ago, I might be WAY off on that number. If someone has some real numbers I'd really like to know what they really are. +/- even 5 minutes would certainly be an eternity to a Phisher.

-Mark Coleman

Henderson, Dennis K. wrote:

When you use a securid token, the number displayed is only good for a
short period of time, like 2-3 minutes. After that it is not valid.

Once you use it, its not valid ever again. So if the number was entered
at a phishing site, the fraudster would have to use it within 1-2
minutes tops.
I guess a site could be set up to automatically attempt login on a real
site upon harvest of the credential. The fraudster would have to be
notified in real time and be able to take advantage of the event right
as it occurred.
I think this reduces, but does not eliminate the odds. Most modern
online banking pages will have a timeout, so the perp needs to be on the
ball to take advantage. No setting up the site, partying the night away,
waking up and looking at the list of passwords. This attack would
require eyeballs on the screen.

All these things increase the cost to the perp of doing business, thus
reducing the likelihood that this type of attack vector would happen
successfully.

My opinion, of course...