Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: when did piracy/theft become expression of freedom

From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 00:30:21 +0100

Copyrights exist for consumers, at least according to the US
constitution: <snip>

And? I'm talking about the simple fact that the producer has the right
to earn money from his creation. Copyright is just a tool.

Copyrights do not exist for the benefit of producers; that is only a
means to an end.  The point of the copyright system is to benefit the
general public.

Exactly. So, in your own words, producers are at a loss.

...which is not the same as their right to prevent you from making
copies of their work.

Oh come on. Who are you trying to feed that to?
You know damn well current court cases target 'copyright infringement'
for non-personal use....such as copying such material and selling it for
profit.

Why don't you just admit many people out there are afraid of loosing
their little racket?

Then tell me what they lost.  Can you prove that someone who downloaded
a song would have spent money on the song if it had not been available
for download?  The argument that losses are incurred for every download
has always been baseless and always will be.

Can you prove that a company/group can live on by handing out free copies
of their song on the internet? How many companies out there do that?

Industries need to adapt to the times, or else they die.  What makes
recording, movie production, etc. so special?

Lets turn this to a different parallel issue, open source. Last I checked,
income for opensource projects tend to come from one of the following:
- paid support
- training

How many such activities play well with records companies?