Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Third issue of the Zone-H Comics

From: eric williams <nfobro () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:29:52 +0000

On 9/27/05, Ken Pfeil <Ken () infosec101 org> wrote:
Since when does a website defacement classify as "cyber terrorism"? Name
one person that has ever lost their life as a result of a website
defacement.

I am not sure that we can know that.  A site may be defaced in a way
that is not "advertised" - as in the case of zone-h postings - and it
could affect the actions of an individual or group such that it brings
them harm.

For example changing an informational web site so that a danger is not
listed or is listed incorrectly.  There appear to be two points being
made here:

1) Is it effective to provide a space to advertise defacements?
2) What is an methodology that can be employed to "capture" statistics
on exploit code in common usage?

There, of course, are more salient points, but those seem to me to be
the ones pertinent here.

-e

8<.snip.>8