Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Call to participate: GNessUs security scanner

From: Tim Brown <timb () gnessus org>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:57:35 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, MadHat wrote:

Not all of 2.2 is GPL. Many of the NASL scripts are not, and this includes ALL of the SMB stuff. Only the engine is GPL. All of the SMB stuff (meaning the functions to connect to Windows shares and query the registry and check SMB specific "stuff") is implemented in NASL code, not in the engine. When 2.2 came out, the shift to non-GPL scripts changed more than just the checks, some of the inner workings of NASL through include scripts and dependancies also became non-GPL, though I don't think most people noticed this.

It has been observed. This is one reason we chose the GNU/Debian code base rather than a straight copy from CVS. If anyone is likely to have cleaned non-GPLd code, it will be them. That being said, one of the first jobs I have pencilled in, is to carry out a full source code review to ensure the code we distribute is GPL.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Brown, GNessUs