Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Call to participate: GNessUs security scanner

From: Tim Brown <timb () gnessus org>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:51:27 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, security curmudgeon wrote:

Hi Tim,

Don't take this as anything but honest questions please! I am curious

Not at all.  Appologies for not replying sooner.

*snip*

All that said, my questions: Why do you see a need to fork the Nessus tree
at this time? Why haven't you or anyone else contributed in the past?
Finally, do you think that if more people supported Nessus with
contributions of code/time/enhancements, that they would have kept things
the same?

I guess for me personally, there have been two reasons for this. Until I moved jobs just under a year ago, whilst I was engaged in security testing/research, the role I occupied was not one where I had time, support or desire to get involved in Nessus. Secondly, the rumblings for me started when the announcement was made of the splitting of the plugin feed. I guess up until that point, people were happy with Tenable's stewardship of the project. A number of those who I've talked to *have* been involved in Nessus in the past and expressed a concern as to the direction the project was taking.

Cheers,
Tim

PS GNessUs is going to have to be renamed, why not join gnessus-announce and gnessus-discuss and help us set the name/agenda.
--
Tim Brown, GNessUs
<mailto:timb () gnessus org>