Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: client - server

From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:22:27 -0500

Are you all sure they cannot know my MAC address? I think they know it when I
connect to the server (i remember something of TCP/IP stack and
encapsulation/decapsulation)....

Only if some 3rd party application (like the game) is sending it (this is how xbox modchip users get nicked .. also using a similar trick involving the HDD serial number).

If you're banned with this game (but nothing else) .. perhaps it's something involving the game's serial number? Accounts on Doom servers (and the like) have been banned in the past for a variety of reasons.

If this is plane-jane HTTP, try using an anonymous proxy server to hide your address (get one from www.multiproxy.org).

MAC addresses don't make it past any layer2 device (dslam is basically a fancy switch) unless you're doing something like DLSW (which being a residential DSL subscriber, you're not).

~Mike.
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html