Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft AntiSpyware - First Impressions

From: Kyle Maxwell <krmaxwell () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:52:58 -0600

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:57:55 +0800, irfan.syed () guoco com
<irfan.syed () guoco com> wrote:

Yeah I tried it too, and the only thing it found on my PC was VNC server. I
was, however, impressed that the tool explained very well what the program
was for and how it could be used for spying.

It picked up WinPCap libraries on my system (from the Ethereal
install), nothing else. I wouldn't have much else on there for it to
pick up, as I only use IE for some internal corporate apps that
require it. But the install was nice and seemed to be very
user-friendly for the non-techie types out there.

It may not be perfect (I thought the Spyware Community was essentially
sending back to a central site, didn't realize it was P2P, this
requires a closer look) but at a minimum it's nice to see MS giving
this some attention. Fix the IE holes and security model and maybe
we'd go even further... But that's a flame war for another day.

--
Kyle Maxwell
[krmaxwell () gmail com]