Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft AntiSpyware - First Impressions

From: "KF (lists)" <kf_lists () digitalmunition com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:19:56 -0500

Do a software update check with this thing and you get GIANTAntiSpywareMain.exe listening on port 2571 until the software is closed. Feel free to beat on and fuzz that port fellas. =]
-KF

KF (lists) wrote:

I love how the icon for this product is a big Target. Very appropreate. Anyone wanna takes bets on how long it takes for someone to find a hole in the Spynet p2p functions of this beast, what port is that listening on again?
*grin*
-KF

James Patterson Wicks wrote:

We knew that Microsoft was going to put out an anti-spyware product after they bought Giant in December, but I did not figure they could re-brand Giant’s software in under a month. Their first shot at anti-spyware came out today – Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta). I installed it on a test machine that I have in the office. Just to be safe, I ran a full Spybot S&D scan and then uninstalled the resident TEA program since Microsoft AntiSpyware will install an agent if you so wish. The only part of the installation that was strange was the “recommended” option of joining the “Spynet AntiSpyware Community” their ‘Spyware Neighborhood Watch’ that connects you to other computers running the Microsoft AntiSpyware software. Don’t know how many people will choose that option, but to me it does not make sense to connect to a peer-to-peer network of infected computers, encrypted traffic or not.

I ran a full system scan and to my surprise, the software found some old Timbuktu and Dameware DLL’s that I thought were uninstalled a year ago. Were the files harmful? The tool stated that the Dameware files were low risk, but the Timbuktu files were high risk. The tool also found “iLookup.GlobalWebSearch Browser Hijacker”, “StartNow Hyperbar Toolbar” and a bunch of “MiniBug” instances. I was somewhat surprised since my machine was “clean” already. I then set up two lab desktops and applied the same clean image on both of them (no anti-virus or firewall installed). I then used IE to surf to the first ten sites Google brought up when searching for “online gambling” sites. I then ran full system scans using Microsoft AntiSpyware on one desktop and Spybot S&D on the other machine. Spybot found 65 objects, the Microsoft tool found 92 objects. The results were similar except that the Microsoft tool found a few more cookies, a bunch of minibugs and something called “SearchSquire.”

While this was just a quick test to satisfy my curiosity about the Microsoft tool, my initial feeling is that the Microsoft AntiSpyware is worth a test deployment in the office. This beta expires in July. Hopefully the final version will be free and allow for centralized domain management. It’s the least that Microsoft can do.

Pat Wicks

Systems and Network Engineer

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html