Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Where to submit a suspected trojan or virus?

From: Scenobro <scenobro () tiscali it>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:20:15 +0200

Harlan Carvey wrote:

The fact that there's a copy of this Explorer.exe in
System32 may be an issue.

Was there an application running?  Was there a
Registry entry related to this file?  If so, which
one?  How about another autostart location?

What do you mean by "I believe take precedence over
the real explorer.exe"?  how so?

Well, actually I discovered it, using autoruns from sysinternals.
The registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell had simply the value "Explorer.exe" and autoruns showed as the image path: "c:\windows\system32\explorer.exe" Autoruns also showed the icon of the file and it was the wrong icon, it had the icon of internet explorer not explorer. This led me to search for the real explorer.exe and google confirmed that the right location is c:\windows. Once deleted the fake explorer.exe from system32 autoruns showed the right image path and the right icon. Today I sent it to kaspersky lab and they said it's a simple trojan-downloader. I think that the fake explorer.exe call the real one after having downloaded his trojan. The problem now is that the file it downloads is no more avalaible (it was at "http://www.getupdate.com/TestDownload.exe";) and I can't tell if I have downloaded it and in such case what does it do...

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html