Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Where to submit a suspected trojan or virus?

From: Kyle Maxwell <krmaxwell () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:22:54 -0500

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 06:00:27 +0200, Scenobro <scenobro () tiscali it> wrote:
I  found an explorer.exe in my system32 folder which I believe take
precedence over the real explorer.exe located in c:\windows.
It's a 92K file that seems to be a visual basic program. Among the
strings contained in it there is a "C:\TestDL.exe" which I didn't find
on my disk and a url "http://www.getupdate.com/TestDownload.exe"; which
does't exists. (the home page of that site is a textfile containing only
"SB2").
I sent the file to virustotal.com and they found nothing.
Where I can send this file for analysis?

The Internet Storm Center also has a malware analysis group, and they
coordinate with the major AV vendors; you can submit the file and
relevant information at http://isc.sans.org/contact.php or via email
to isc () sans org (I think).

--
Kyle Maxwell