Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Calcuating Loss

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:08:50 -0500

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 10:56, Schmidt, Michael R. wrote:
Well one of the biggest issues that allows people to remain anonymous
is DHCP.  If everyone on the internet was required to get a static IP
address, or to log which IP they were using - using a secure
technology then everyone could be tracked,

Wrong again. As you said, dial-in users can be traced by phone number
(unless they hop through hacked PBXes). Cable users can be traced by MAC
address, DSL providers probably by switch port and/or MAC.

"Your" ISP can track you from IP to MAC or dial-in port to your
credentials. But if you jump through 20 open proxies, the person/site
that you are attacking will have a hard time finding you (and your IP
address).

So in essence, the biggest issue that allows people to remain anonymous
are open proxies and zombie PCs. And I don't think we'll ever get rid of
those.

Regards,
Frank