Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Psexec on *NIX

From: Ondrej Krajicek <krajicek () ics muni cz>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:04:20 +0200

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 04:19:17PM -0400, Chris Carlson wrote:
I need a utility that behaves exactly like psexec, and for the second
time, yes, I know exactly what psexec does.

PsExec uses RPC binding of Service Control Manager, SSPI and default
administrative shares (C$, ADMIN$) on Windows NT (family)
to accomplish remote execution. There is no RPC binding of SCM
on Un*x, there is no SCM at all. There are no administrative
shares and there is no good reason why have them.
What PsExec does is heavily Windows-specific stuff, there
is no direct analogy in POSIX/Un*x world. Closest are of r* tools
and their more secure brethren, such as sshd.

The fact that Windows come with all this built-in and impossible
to disable does not make them more clean, stable or robust.
Adding sshd (or whatever) is a price for the possibility of not
having sshd where it is not necessary. We all (well,
it seems that only majority of us) gladly pay it.

I don't want central mangement. I don't want web applications.  I want
to be able to walk into a network with my laptop that I've never before
seen, and execute any program on any windows system of my choice.
(That I've got access to, of course).  Going physically to the computer
to install something takes more time and energy than what is needed; so
does using RDP or VNC to do the same.

I need this for unix.

If you need Windows and Linux interconnectivity, sshd is better option
that exploring the caveats of MS-RPC/DCE RPC interoperability.

Best regards,

Ondra

Any more questions?

- Chris