Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: irc over ssl

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 23:39:48 -0500 (CDT)

But it's true that IRC is fun and still can be a great help in WAN management
coordination... same as talkd.  It's just one of those things that have been
frowned upon by the hordes of non Unix people that came in IT later and was
re-invented the wrong way in group-ware stuff.   As a result, hackers have IRC
and instant communications from Berlin to Tokyo and we Sysadmins must still
wait to reserve a conference room to talk to other sysadmins when a big DoS
attack appears.  Why? Because high management considers IRC a "hacking
thing".  Can't win that war.

Which can be a "shame/pain/something one learns to deal with".  Yet
remains a shame that many managers do not understand that an internal,
restricted server can/could provide alot of benefit, with little more risk
from internal users then many other production apps.

I'm willing to bet there are a number of more enlightened shops that have
used this tool and benefited, of course, I'm willing to bet there are one
or two failures that might surface as well.  Tools are what one makes of
them...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html