Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Backdoor not recognized by Kaspersky

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:04:24 +1300

"Sean Crawford" <sean01 () accnet com au> wrote:

ISP's make money from Bandwidth usage,

Nope -- ISPs make money from lack of bandwidth usage...

... it's therefore in there interest to
let traffic go un-checked as in the end legitimate account holders will have
to pay for it...

If that were true, I doubt the following article would have been
written:

   Attack of the Profit-Killer Worms

   Internet worms are costing Broadband ISPs a fortune - as much as
   $370m worldwide in 2004. Customers foot some of the bill through
   higher subscription charges, but most is soaked up by their ...

Backbone and other "bulk" connectivity suppliers make money from
bandwidth, but in general not ISPs.

However, you being from Oz may, like me in NZ, potentially face
"bandwidth overuse" charges if on a DSL service. Further, some NZ (and
some other) universities have had a history of bandwidth usage-based
charging, as did several of the early ISPs here.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html